I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

January Whisperings

Greetings, dear Dragons! For a while, I've been wanting to restart my wrap-up posts. In 2015, I had a short series called The Events of Nightwind Court... but what with the cheesy title and all, my interest quickly declined... So I'm proud to introduce to you -- Whisperings!


{Image by yours truly.}

Of course, I'm not sure whether I'll do a Whisperings post every month, but I'm trying to get into a stricter blogging routine, so Lord willing, they'll be around for a while!

First thing's first...

School
(I know, a rather depressing first topic. I'm sorry. But it'll get better, I promise!)

Yesterday, I turned in all my homework for the month... and am now done with the entire semester! Although I'm very excited about it, at the same time it reminds me that I've got a whole new semester to complete. But, thankfully, the second is always easier than the first!

Acting: The Magic Flute

{Image provided by Adira Rosen.}

We began rehearsals last Wednesday! So far, we've gone through most of Act I, leaving a rehearsal for the rest of Act I on Monday, an off-script rehearsal for the whole of Act I on Tuesday, and more later on!

I'm honestly in love with my character, Princess Pamina. She's so terribly fun to play! She's bratty, princess-y, a control freak, and a little boy-crazy. She also gets to hit a monster over the head with a book!

January Films

Captain America: Civil War

{Source.}

Thanks to Netflix, I finally got to see Civil War! I must admit that, while it was well-made, it was not my favourite Captain America movie. It was pretty fun to see all the Avengers, though! At first, I was pretty upset that they changed the Spiderman actor, but... he grew on me. A lot. His interactions with Tony were HILARIOUS! 😄

Bunk'd

{Source.}

I'm rather embarrassed to admit it, but... yes, my mom and I have been watching a Disney Channel show. We usually don't watch them (since, honestly, there's better quality entertainment out there, and Disney Channel shows aren't always the best...), but we'd watched Jessie a few years ago, so when we were bored, surfing Netflix one day, and ran across this Jessie spinoff... why not?

Bunk'd is actually pretty good compared to other Disney Channel shows. The characters aren't all dumb, and some of them are actually rather endearing. Lou, Emma, and Xander are my favourites!

A Series of Unfortunate Events

{Source.}

I have The Bad Beginning sitting on my bookshelf, but I've yet to actually read any of the books... (*winces*)

BUT OH MY STARS, GUYS. THIS SHOW IS SO WONDERFUL. LIKE, WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN?!

I finished what I think is season one (the first eight episodes, anyway) last night, and WOW, PEEPS. WOW, JUST WOW. jdjgbkjgf jkvbk fvdkgjbvlpoqpbqgb (See, I can't even type!)

The ending of episode seven, though... Dearest Dragon, if you've seen it, WE NEED TO TALK. I literally cannot handle the doors and the couple and then Violet, Sunny, and Klaus and then the thing and then OH MY STARS! I nearly cried. (But I nearly cried at the end of episode eight, too. Mainly there 'cause I didn't want to wait anymore for season two.)

January Reads

This month, I read a total of four books (a rather pathetic number for a book dragon, I know, but I'm a bit of a slow reader)! You can check out my reviews by clicking on the images below.

Waking Up by Ted Dekker



Five stars, mainly for the addictive writing.

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen



Three to four stars. Though I'm a huge fan of the movies, I just didn't love this one.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding



Two stars. The writing wasn't that bad, but... the content.

Sky's Bridal Train by Margo Hansen



Four stars. This made for a fun and rather adventurous read, but it wasn't a favourite.

January Music

The Magic Flute

Since being cast as Pamina in The Magic Flute, I've become some what obsessed with Mozart's opera. I even made a playlist for the whole show, and while only a few of the songs from the opera are on it, I'm still very proud. 😃

The Celtic Collection by Adrian Von Ziegler

{Source.}

I've known about Adrian Von Ziegler for a while, now, but I've only just started really listening to his music, particularly The Celtic Collection. It reminds me of a videogame I used to play, with a soundtrack I loved!

Covers, Vol. I by Evynne Hollens

{Source.}

I really enjoyed Peter Hollens and his wife's YouTube channels, so when I found out Evynne had released her debut album, I rushed to Spotify and added it immediately! It's a pretty fun album, but I'd say my favourite track has to be Fields of Gold. (*sighs*) Her version of it is probably my favourite rendition ever...

Writing

2016 was a very poor writing year for me, so I've been trying to get back into it. Having my desk covered with old rehearsal schedules and cast lists hasn't helped at all (which is probably what I'll attend to after I publish this post 😉 ).

But something has happened that's very exciting, and is rather a boost of confidence for me! If you didn't see me mention it earlier this week, I'm a finalist in SpecFaith's Winter Writing Challenge! (You can vote for me here, if you're so inclined.)

Even if I don't win, it's still been a wonderful experience, and I'm so thankful to God that I was able to participate in it! ☺

Beasts of Grimm
(Because everyone totally names their house one thing, and then changes it a couple years later... And everyone names their house, in the first place. 😉 )

Sweetie

{Image by yours truly.}

Our oldest dog got a professional haircut, recently! We usually give her a haircut ourselves, but decided to take her to a groomer, this time. AND DRAGONS. THEY PUT A BOW IN HER HAIR. AND IT IS WAS STINKIN' CUTE!!

Belle

{Image by yours truly.}

Belle's been Belle. Never needing a haircut. Sitting on top of me at every possible moment. Stealing my pillow when we go to bed. 😉 Still, her and Sweetie are as cute as can be. ❤

Blogging

Finally, we come to blogging! I did a lot of scheduled blogging, this month. Here are some of my January posts:










Elsewhere in the blogosphere:

  • Tracey Dyck wrote about why fiction matters -- read post
  • Jenelle Schmidt restarted her fun meme, Nightstand Books, and announced the upcoming February Is Fantasy Month challenge -- read post
  • sadly, Anne Elisabeth Stengl announced that she'd be discontinuing her book series, Tales of Goldstone Wood -- read post

As to the results of the blogging survey, thank you so much for letting me know what you'd like to see more of! Some results have still been trickling in, so Lord willing I'll announce the conclusions in February. ☺

How has your January been? What did you accomplish, this month?

<3


11 comments:

  1. Bellanok looks absolutely gorgeous, wow! How did you enjoy it? This month, a couple of my favorite reads have been The Martian by Andy Weir and Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis by Anne Rice.

    YOUR DOGS ARE SO PRECIOUS, HOLY COW.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is lovely, isn't it? I'm enjoying Bellanok so far; I have a few mixed feelings about it, but Lord willing, I'll have my thoughts about it up on merikthorne.blogspot.com soon. :)

      I've heard of The Martian, but I haven't heard of the others; I'll have to check them out!

      And thank you! Yes, I agree, my dogs are quite precious. ;) (No bias there. :P )

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've had a full January!
    I hope you have fun in your musical, The Magic Flute is a good one :)
    You're watching a Series of Unfortunate Events! I can't wait to watch it! I have it lined up for when I'm finished my course....
    I see you have a good taste in music :) I, also love listening to the Hollens family, however, I have sadly never listened to a single by Evelyn Hollens.
    You've got some pretty cute pups there! :)
    I hope your next month is even better than this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my January somehow passed crazy quickly, but at the same time, crazy slow? I thought I'd be much older when that sort of thing started to happen! :P

      Thank you! I'm stoked for the play... (*whispers*) but also super nervous. I actually do better acting onstage than presenting an academic project, so I'm not entirely sure how that works? I just keep praying that I won't mess up!

      And A Series of Unfortunate Events!!!! Aaaaah!!!! Once you watch it, we need to talk. ;) It just had all the feels!

      Hee hee, thanks. ;) Evelyn Hollens is great; she has a few duets with her husband that are super sweet!

      I hope your February is spectacular, too!! <3

      Delete
  3. Whoa, I wasn't the only one who had a busy January! I think it's so not fair that the first semester always ends after Christmas. WHY CAN'T IT END BEFORE?!??

    *clears throat* The Spiderman mix-up really got on my nerves at first too, but when he said "remember that really old movie...." he totally won me over. Oh my gosh, I cannot wait for the movie this year!!!

    I am currently trying to wrap up my crazy January in a coherent post ;-)

    (and your dogs are adorable, btw)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. THE SEMESTER NEEDS TO END BEFORE CHRISTMAS. THEN WE CAN ENJOY CHRISTMAS SO MUCH MORE!

      Spiderman won me over at that part, too! And, wait, there's a Spiderman movie? OH MY GOODNESS, THAT WILL BE SO TOTALLY EPIC.

      I need to go read through your posts! I'm on an email subscription, but with school and all, I'm a bit behind on most of my blog-reading. (*sighs, and glares at the word "school"*) I'm hoping I can get to them soon!

      And thank you! I think they're quite adorable, too. ;)

      Have a wonderful February, Audrey!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a marvelously full January! (We totally name our houses. Our last house was named "Mars" courtesy of my 4 year old - I'm hoping we can come up with a more fantasy-esque name for our next house... though "Mars 2" might be in the works, LOL)

    I've only seen the first episode of Series of Unfortunate Events, and enjoyed it. So far, I like the movie best of the three mediums this story has been converted to. I have read the entire book series, and the tv show seems to be following it pretty closely, and Neil Patrick Harris is awesome... but not quite as good as Jim Carrey :)

    Awww, your puppies are sooooo cute!

    Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Also, I tagged you: http://jenelleschmidt.com/life-lessons-learned-from-fantasy-tag/ absolutely no pressure to actually do the tag, though!

      Delete
    2. Hee hee, Mars 2 sounds like an excellent name! ;)

      I haven't seen the Series of Unfortunate Events movie -- I'll have to check that out! Jim Carrey's a pretty talented actor!

      And aw, thanks for the tag! <3 I actually had no idea what to blog about this Saturday, so this works out perfectly! :D

      Have a great week, Jenelle!

      Delete
  5. Belle, your dog, is indeed beautiful!

    I have a cat named Kitty (creative, I know) who similarly loves to pounce into my lap or into my covers at any (and every) possible moment!

    January felt like it drove past me at 180km/hr, spun me around and now I'm dizzy but getting back on my feet! Where did the month go? I definitely didn't achieve as much as you did, but I had a very busy 2016, so I guess I took January as a bit of a break before the exciting tornado that is to be 2017!

    Happy February!
    Steph

    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Kitty's an adorable name! It's so very fitting. ;)

      Oh my goodness, SAME about January! I still feel as if I'm stumbling out of a roller coaster car!

      Happy February to you, as well, Steph! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog