I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beautiful Books: The Somewhat Secret Project + Cover Concept & Working Title Reveal!

Greetings, dear Dragons! (*cues Bob the Tomato voice*) And have we got a show for you! (*clears throat*) (*straightens bowtie*)

Anywhozens, first thing's first! Yup, I have a working title for The Somewhat Secret Project! (*throws confetti*) It's inspired by Psalm 77:16 (ESV), which reads:

When the waters saw You, O God, when the waters saw You, they were afraid; indeed, the deep trembled.

One of the themes of The Somewhat Secret Project is noticing and acknowledging God. Thus, the working title is (*drumroll*)...

AND DID THE WATERS TREMBLE

I even made a cover concept!

{Created using PicMonkey. Raindrop-on-branch image by yours truly.}

Of course, when the day comes for And Did the Waters Tremble to be published, its real cover will probably look nothing like this! This was just me goofing off with PicMonkey. 😉

On to Beautiful Books!


{Source.}

1. What were your writerly achievements last year?

  • I started writing And Did the Waters Tremble
  • I (kind of) maintained a regular blogging schedule for a little while? Not really?

Overall, 2016 was a very pathetic year for me, writing-wise. 😝

2. What's on your writerly to-do list for 2017?

  1. Finish draft one of And Did the Waters Tremble
  2. Find beta readers for And Did the Waters Tremble
  3. Write novella for Rooglewood Press's 2017 creative writing contest (I already have an idea, so I'm really hoping for a Red Riding Hood contest!)
  4. Attend Realm Makers (*squeal*)
  5. Finish novella
  6. Edit novella
  7. Submit novella (which is the hardest thing in the world! I always find something I missed once I've already sent it!)
  8. Start draft two of And Did the Waters Tremble
  9. Read at least fifty books (I hit forty-seven, last year -- I think I can do it!)

3. Tell us about your top-priority writing projects for this year!

Well, definitely And Did the Waters Tremble and my fairytale novella! To make up for last year's lack of epic-ness, I want to make some major progress, this year!

4. How do you hope to improve yourself as a writer? Where do you see yourself at the end of 2017?

I want my writing style, worldbuilding, plot development, and character growth to be better! Particularly worldbuilding. Having already spent three years developing the continent in When the Sky Cries, I always forget how hard it is to start from scratch!

5. Describe your general editing process.
  1. Bribe Ask my dad for help
  2. Inconsistently interrupt his reading process
  3. Lend him my red pencil
  4. Peer over his shoulder with wide eyes as he crosses things out and adds stuff in
  5. Laugh together when we reach something so utterly ridiculous, and I wonder, How in Gallifrey did I put that in there?
  6. Make my mom read it the next day, while my dad's at work
  7. Look away whenever I think she's getting to the part where someone dies (someone always dies, my dear Dragon; always)
  8. Listen to what she has to say
  9. Go over my draft with my dad for the next couple evenings
  10. Hop on over to my computer and make all the changes
  11. Instead of printing the revised draft out again, let my dad read it on my laptop
  12. Make final edits
  13. Move on from there
(*whispers*) Of course, I've only gone through that full editing process once (it was for the 2015 Rooglewood Press creative writing contest), so I'm sure it'll be a little different with And Did the Waters Tremble (finding beta readers, etc.).

6. On a scale of one to ten, how do you think this draft will turn out?

No. Idea.

7. What aspect of your draft do you think will need the most work?

Erm, I always place words where words should never be. Reading through my rough drafts, you'll probably run across stray "the"s all over the page!

8. What do you like the most about your draft?

My opening line. (*grins*)

9. What are your plans for your novel once you finish editing?

Publishing! (*dances... very, very badly*)

10. What's your top piece of advice for those just finished writing a draft?

Applaud yourself. Binge-watch a British show while snaking on chocolate. You've earned it, my friend.

So, what does your editing process typically look like? What's the name of your WIP, and how is it going?

<3


12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH I LOVE THAT TITLE!!! *fangirls over it*

    You have quite an awesome to-do list for 2017! I think it's so ironic that so many writers have "find beta readers" on their list :)

    Your editing process sounds a lot like mine! (only mine for the past three years has been write from dozens of different points of view then scrap the whole thing ten times over. lol XD) I'm finally at the stage of asking my mom to alpha read it. :D

    <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, you are too sweet, Audrey! Thank you so much!! <3

      Though I've never been a beta reader or asked for beta readers before, I'm somewhat excited/terrified to eventually find them. Excited for other people to read my story, but terrified because OTHER PEOPLE WILL READ MY STORY.

      Way cool that we have a similar editing process! :D Editing is definitely quite the journey. After I first edited a story I wrote, I felt like my writing style had grown, even though the writing in the story was awful. It can really point out the areas one struggles with, as well as ways to fix them! :)

      Hope your weekend is fantastic, Audrey! <3

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love your title! So pretty. And how you found it. I am in the midst of searching for a title for my current WIP and it is frustrating. Titles for me either spring into existence perfectly and of their own accord, or they take forever and I'm still not sure I'm happy with them even after publishing.

    Fun to hear about everyone's writing goals for the year! Best wishes on all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Jenelle! <3

      Yes, finding a title can be incredibly hard! My dad was the one who suggested going through the Bible (or even looking through some of Shakespeare's plays), so I just sat down with the book of Psalms and opened up to some of my favourite passages. :) I hope you find a title you love, soon!! <3

      Delete
  3. Exciting!Realm makers!

    I'm in the middle of finishing a draft, revising a different book (My drafts come out really messy, so it needs that much before beta-reading), planning its sequel and getting distracted by a new secret idea. I'm only really doing the first and last at the moment now, but the others need to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My drafts always come out really messy, too! I have a ton of inconsistencies going on. :P

      And getting distracted by new ideas...! Same here. ;) I keep getting ideas for new stories when I'm trying to focus.

      Best of wishes to you on meeting your goals for the new year!!

      Delete
  4. I love how you broke everything down into steps and just... Asdfgjklkjhgfdsdfghjkjh *flails loudly* Basically, I just got the impression that you know what in heck you are doing!!! Also I love your editing process - adorable! It's so sweet that you feel comfortable with your parents reading your stuff and they are wiling to help you with it. I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, best of luck with all your goals!

    I absolutely love the title "And Did the Waters Tremble"! Best of luck with writing it; it sounds super interesting!

    I tend to edit as I go, primarily because I can't stand the thought of raw words just sitting there unedited. As a result, my process of actual editing proper tends to be pretty short - the first half of my piece has already been gone over about a thousand times, so I really only have to tinker around with the last bit.

    My current top-priority WIP is Karissa Goldlock's Guide to (Almost) Utterly Everything, a steampunk/fairyland mashup novel. It's going pretty well thus far; I just have to finish up a couple more chapters!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Ellie!!

      I like to edit as I go, a lot, too. I totally feel your pain about those words just sitting there, untouched!

      Your novel sounds super interesting! Best wishes on finishing up your draft! :)

      Delete
  6. Sweeeet! I'm planning on going to Realm Makers too! I can't wait to meet you! Best wishes in all of your goals! I'm primarily working on getting my novel Starbloods ready for pitching at Realm Makers. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (*squeals*) I can't wait to meet you, either!! It's so very exciting, the prospect of meeting fellow bloggers! :D

      Wishing you the best on Starbloods! I can't wait for the day I'll be seeing your novel in the bookstores!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog