I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Sunday, October 2, 2016

On Soulmates & the Like

{Original image source. Edited using PicMonkey.}
I didn't marry the One, I married this one, and the two of us became one. ~Matt Walsh, My Marriage Wasn't Meant To Be

I don't believe soulmates exist.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the definition of a soulmate is as follows:

A person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

"Ideally." Oh, what a strange term. Turning back to the Oxford Dictionary yet again, one of the synonyms for "ideally" is "perfectly," or "in an ideal world."

Ideally, I'd have finished high school by the time most kids my age entered middle school. Ideally, I would've already finished a book I'm happy with, and it would be both an accurate movie and a New York Times bestseller. Ideally, I wouldn't be afraid to learn how to drive, and I'd live in Britain or the Pacific northwest serving as a private English Literature teacher. Ideally, a white unicorn would be my mode of transportation. But that's all in a perfect world.

And, unfortunately, I don't know of any cases in which unicorns have existed (and no, rhinos are not simply "curvey unicorns"). So why would the perfect guy exist?

The perfect guy would be, well, perfect. Handsome. Flawless. Without fault. But here on this earth, there is no guy who is "handsome" and "without fault." There is no guy who is perfect for me.


Well said, Kristoff. {Source.}

Romans 3:23 (ESV) states:

...For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...

So there's no one out there like that. Not now, not ever.

But I do think there's someone who's right. No, he's not perfect. No, he's not without fault. And hey, he might not even be handsome! (Though the cliché states that beauty is, after all, in the eyes of the beholder.) But he's right for me. I may shiver when he picks his nose and eats it, or when he slurps while drinking a milkshake, but the two of us mesh well together.

Not perfectly, no. We are practically guaranteed to fight and disagree, to wince at certain qualities about one another. And should the unfortunate case befall us that one passes away before the other, we may just so happen to find another right person, different from the first, but still for us.

As you might've seen towards the top of this post, I have a quote from an article by Matt Walsh (link above). Walsh says that he and his wife are not soulmates, but they make it work. Which is good. Because marriage is a thing that couples will always have to make work. It is not a thing to be taken lightly -- you are committing yourself to your significant other for life. (Unless there are scriptural reasons for a divorce.)

So, should the time come that I decide to seek out my future husband, I won't be looking for a soulmate. I'll just be looking for the right guy.

<3


2 comments:

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog