I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

ELLA ENCHANTED // Book Review

{Source.}

Ella Enchanted was delightful. Incredible. Divine. And, to my great pleasure, a very different tale from the film.

I really, really liked this book. There were a couple of times I had to go back and reread a line or two, and I wasn't much of a fan of young Char. But as time went on, the writing became more and more rich, and Char (*swoons*)... Well, he's wonderful.

And I'm a huge fan of Ella! Witty, clever, and strong -- yet not afraid to shed tears -- she seemed like someone I would love to know in real life. And there's also Mandy, Areida, Lady Elinor, and so many others... (*sighs*) The characterization was awesome.

Worldbuilding- and plot-wise, I was impressed. There were several different races and kingdoms, all with their own quirks and languages. There was no epic quest to find Lucinda, but rather a small portion of the book in which Ella pursued her. Char and Ella's romance was not cheesy or sweet, but loud, powerful, and, to a degree, inspiring.

So it was great. Definitely something I recommend! And I may see this in my to-read-again list. ;)

You may want to know: There are several scenes involving ogres, who possess the intention of consuming humans and gnome children. There is also brief kissing, the minor (and mostly innocent) use of magic, and a rather cruel father and step-family.

<3


6 comments:

  1. It's been a LONG time since I read this one, but I do seem to recall thinking it darling (and despite its silliness, the film is a favorite of mine as well). Glad you loved the book, Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the film, as well! But after reading the book, I feel that they just can't compare (I may or may not be completely obsessed with the bookish romance between Char and Ella *winks*). :)
      And thanks! I'm glad I enjoyed it, as well. :D

      Delete
  2. I need to read this book! I hear people talking about it (and the movie) all the time, but have never read/watched it so I can't join in the hype. Oddly enough, the cover picture in this post looks familiar??? Like something I read in school many, many years ago... I don't remember reading it (or having it read to me) though. Maybe siblings read it and that's why it looks so familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You *really* need to read the book (it's so amazing!)! I recommend seeing the movie after reading it, though -- the storyline and characters are WAAAAAYY better in the book!

      Delete
    2. Will do!!! Can I just say that THE BOOK IS AAALLWAYS BETTER???

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog