I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Mini Reviews (Edition #2)

July 2016

James & Sirius by J.K. Rowling

{Source.}

James & Sirius was a pleasant little story that briefly told of an incident between the two Marauders and a couple of policemen. Definetly fun and short enough to give a read. :)

You may want to know: The story surrounds an incident in which two boys are regarded as being disrespectful to a handful of policemen. There is also some spell-casting, though to a reader unfamiliar with Harry Potter, it is not evident.

Resistance by Jaye L. Knight

{Source.}

Though Resistance started off and ended rather slowly, I think I can safely say it's one of my favourite YA spekkie books. I adored how much -- unlike so many YA spekkie books that are being published, today -- it truly centered around faith, courage, and loyalty.

The writing style was engaging and well done, yet simple and brief, not unlike John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series. Overall, I think it was the plot and character development that truly won my heart. :)

You may want to know: While there are not gory details, there are several scenes in which characters are tortured and sometimes even executed due to their Christian faith. There are also brief mentionings of human-like monsters (ryriks) and the inappropriate acts they are known to inflict upon human women.

The King's Scrolls by Jaye L. Knight


{Source.}

I think I enjoyed The King's Scrolls even more than Resistance.

There were, however, a few things I noticed about this story that I noticed in Resistance, as well, that just seemed rather unnatural and kinda bothered me (such as how willing people were to tell near strangers about their loved ones' pasts; completely different characters' dialogue sounded similar; some characters, such as Trask and Talas, were hard to tell apart because of their similar names; and how the novel stated that Jace and Rayad were still close, but there was no evidence of it like there was at the beginning of Resistance).

But I truly loved The King's Scrolls! It was exciting, and, oh, I ship Jayrin!! (*fangirls*) (*sighs dreamily*) (*whispers*) They belong together... FOREVER...

So, yeah, The King's Scrolls was great. As soon as you've read Half-Blood and Resistance, go pick it up. Immediately. Because it's completely awesome. And I can't wait to start finish Samara's Peril.

You may want to know: There is some undescriptive violence, as well as the execution and fatal wounding of several characters. (The violence was quite a bit less than that of Resistance, however.)

<3


3 comments:

  1. I agree with Skye, your mini reviews are great! Also, where did you find the James and Sirius book? I want to read it but can't seem to find it anywhere :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Skye and Savannah!!
    Savannah, JAMES & SIRIUS was never released in physical form (save for once, for an auction, I believe), but it is available to read at http://www.mugglenet.com/harry-potter/james-sirius-prequel/, and is approximately eight-hundred words. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog