I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Friday, July 1, 2016

Mini Reviews (Edition #1)

So I've come to a conclusion about reviewing books. As an author, I know how hard it is to write a book. Therefore, writing a good book is even harder!

I recently read a book by an author I adored... a book I didn't really like. And writing a decent sized review simply begged for spilling out all the things I didn't like.

But I still want to review books! I mean, reviewing books is kinda fun, isn't it? Particularly the books which stole your heart. So I've come to a conclusion: mini reviews. Bite-sized reviews in which the reader merely states the things they liked about the book. Or the things they didn't like, without going off on a seemingly self-righteous rant.

_________________

April - June 2016

Here be the first edition! Possibly the last; I don't quite know if I'll do this again, yet. But I enjoy reviewing books, so here it is!

A Dream Not Imagined by Shantelle Mary Hannu

{Source.}


A Dream Not Imagined was a very sweet, fresh new take on Cinderella. Ellie is not so different from the numerous quiet, timid versions of her character, and yet the plot with its glorious twists and turns retells the story in a simply beautiful new manner, with the message that God always has a plan for us!

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

{Source.}


As much as I loved Wildwood Dancing, I was very disappointed with Cybele's Secret, to the point that, just over halfway through, I put it down and sent it back to the library.

I don't really know the problem I had with the book. The writing itself was pretty close to the quality of Wildwood Dancing, but the characters seemed pretty one- or two-dimensional. Paula said she was a scholar, but, were it not for her saying it (very often), I feel like I never would've known, because there was no proof. Stoyan claimed to be uneducated, and yet he spoke more than one language. Paula fell for the far-too-mysterious pirate Duarte. Paula's father seemed weak... So it was probably the characters I had a problem with. They were just... there.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

{Source.}


I know it's "the great American classic". But I just didn't love it. Twain's writing style, the usage of the n-word, the discrimination against different races, and the odd character development just didn't sit well with me.

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

{Source.}


Imagine that a sweet Christian romance meets the confinement of differing medieval social classes. That is what The Healer's Apprentice was.

Although I do enjoy Christian romances, I'm very picky about them, and don't typically enjoy it when its just all about the couple and their families. But Melanie Dickerson combined just enough love and adventure -- as well as glimpses of a well-known fairytale -- to make for a truly lovely read.

A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

{Source.}


A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold was certainly unexpected, but very much desired.

With a voice very different from that used in her Tales of Goldstone Wood series, Anne Elisabeth Stengl weaves an intricate tale filled with new, larger-than-life characters, as well as a few returns from those already familiar to readers.

Overall, the writing style was amazing. The characters were amazing. The plot was amazing.

I would recommend this for an older audience, however. Though it was completely clean, it was very spooky (which was amazingly done, as well, with perfectly crafted descriptions and perfectly creepy Faeries).

Half-Blood by Jaye L. Knight

{Source.}


The first half or two-thirds of Half-Blood was kind of depressing and rather uneventful (plot-wise), but the ending was worth it. It was the perfect length for a novella, and the ending... Wow, the ending was so wonderful!

_________________

Anywhozens, those are my most recent reads! I'm currently reading Resistance by Jaye L. Knight (which is one of those incredible, binge-reading-inducing, staying-up-crazy-late-'cause-I-love-this-book kind of stories). If you're curious about my book-related going-ons (I don't know if anyone here would be, but... yeah), you can shoot me a friend request on Goodreads, or check out my reading list page.

Are there any books you've been reading? Are you a longtime fan of Jaye L. Knight's The Ilyon Chronicles? Do you want to start reading them? Or are you like me, having just started getting into the series? As always, feel free to drop comments, below! :)

<3


2 comments:

  1. I have A Branch of Silver, a Branch of Gold on my kindle app and really want to read it. I've just not had time yet. And I've heard lots of good things about The Ilyon Chronicles, I've just not got into them yet. I want to, and I will...sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do some mini reviews, I can't seem to keep up with myself. I liked A Branch of Silver,a Branch of Gold too. It was very well written.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog