I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

  • No Post Today - HELLO, DRAGONS! So I'd totally planned on there being a real-ish post today... BUT THAT'S JUST NOT HAPPENING. My Thanksgiving break begins next Friday/S...
    6 days ago

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Book Review: WILDWOOD DANCING

Image recovered from this link.

High in the Transylvanian woods, at the castle Piscul Draculi, live five daughters and their doting father. It's an idyllic life for Jena, the second eldest, who spends her time exploring the mysterious forest with her constant companion, a most unusual frog. But best by far is the castle's hidden portal, known only to the sisters. Every Full Moon, they alone can pass through it into the enchanted world of the Other Kingdom. There they dance through the night with the fey creatures of this magical realm.
     But their peace is shattered when Father falls ill and must go to the southern parts to recover, for that is when cousin Cezar arrives. Though he's there to help the girls survive the brutal winter, Jena suspects he has darker motives in store. Meanwhile, Jena's sister has fallen in love with a dangerous creature of the Other Kingdom -- an impossible union it's up to Jena to stop.
     When Cezar's grip of power begins to tighten, at stake is everything Jena loves: her home, her family, and the Other Kingdom she has come to cherish. To save her world, Jena will be tested in ways she can't imagine -- tests of trust, strength, and true love.

(Summary recovered from Goodreads.)


I saw this book drifting around the sites of many reviewers I admire before I actually took the time to order it from the library. And (*takes a deep breath*)... it was incredible.

Juliet Marillier offers larger-than-life characters, some who are wise, others silly and out of their minds, and others completely stupid (*glares at a certain group of antagonists*). But I feel as if none of them could match up to the expertly-written whirlwinds of personality known as Jena and her pet frog, Gogu. (*fangirls*) Seriously, don't get me started on how amazing the characters in this book are!!

And THE PLOT TWISTS!!!! OH MY STARS!! ...Guys, the plot twists in Wildwood Dancing are SO GOOD...!!!! ...I shall refrain from screaming spelling them all out to you.

As to the writing style: Wow. Just wow. Juliet Marillier steals your heart from the first sentence, and doesn't let go until the book is finished. And then you just sit there and think, What am I supposed to do with my life?

And the themes this book had to offer were so wonderful! My favourite message had to be "respect brings respect". :)

So wow. Just wow. Don't hesitate. Read it. Honestly. You won't regret it. <3

Oh, one more thing! The cover! Whenever you read something that sounds familiar, look at the cover. It's a bit like a game of "I spy" and is oh-so-much-fun (particularly because of the AWESOME PLOT TWISTS!!).

Okay. I'm done, now. :)

You may want to know: There is kissing, as well as some brief violence and immodesty. There is also a scene in which a drunken man kisses a woman against her will.


<3

This post was scheduled.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's AMAZING! I highly recommend it! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Same here! I need to re-read this, soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I feel like I've heard of this book? Possibly? The cover looks familiar -- it actually looks like a puzzle my dad used to do when I was younger. xD

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally see this cover as a puzzle! It's gorgeous!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog