I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Book Review: FIVE ENCHANTED ROSES

A couple of months ago, a good friend was kind enough to lend me Five Enchanted Roses to help me with a little bit of "research" (as we like to call it) for my Five Magic Spindles entry.

Seeing as I'm on Thanksgiving break, I thought that now would be a good time to type up a quick review on Rooglewood Press's Beauty & the Beast collection.

Image recovered from this link.

___________________

Esprit de la Rose by Kaycee Browning

Esprit de la Rose tells the story of an educated young woman called Cecilia, her father a privateer who quickly becomes indebted to the magical merfolk known as the Fee. In a hasty attempt to save her father, Cecilia is hurled into a grim underworld filled with ghostly pirates, each of them with their own curse. In a world so utterly terrifying, is it possible for the privateer's daughter to find love even among the harshest of souls?


I had a BLAST reading this tale! I all-too-instantly fell in love with the mysterious Captain Pepin, and was very much intrigued by Miss Cecilia Lester. Many of the characters were dangerous and bewitching, allowing for Esprit de la Rose to be a true page-turner.

Overall, I believe this novella deserves five stars!

___________________

Wither by Savannah Jezowski

In Wither, a merchant's stubborn daughter named Lilybet crosses a land filled with the dreadful undead in an attempt to reach a beast's castle to save her sister. Lilybet receives much more than she bargained for, however. The beast lives a half-life as stone, and the palace in which he dwells is known as Briarstone Abbey. Cold and mystical, Briarstone stands as a barrier between the mortal world and the realm of the dead. It is only a matter of time before the wraiths behind it begin to seep free...


Wither was, I believe, my least-favourite novella in the Five Enchanted Roses collection. Though the writing was excellent and the characters very well developed, I found myself unable to relate to them. I did, however, find the setting dark and intriguing, causing the description of Wither's world to be clearly etched into my mind.

Still, I think this story should earn three or four stars.

___________________

Stone Curse by Jenelle Schmidt

What if the beast's curse was an accident? Jenelle Schmidt's Stone Curse tells the story of Karyna, a young handmaiden living in a dreary castle with a court full of haunting statues, a fellow servant, and none other than the beast -- Prince Barend, himself. When rumors of a sorceress reach Karyna's ears, she is determined to set out and find the woman, in hopes of finding a way to free the prince from his curse. But surprises are in store for Karyna, along her journey. And is this tale of the sorceress just a myth? Or is there someone really lurking behind the shadows of that powerful title?


Stone Curse was a rather unexpected read, in such a darling way! Appreciating the characters was all-too easy! And the plot was such fun, too. It didn't take long for me to imagine gallivanting across the kingdom with Karyna and Barend, as well as their lovely friend Ritter.

Four stars!

___________________

Rosara & the Jungle King by Dorian Tsukioka

Written in the style of Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games, Rosara & the Jungle King is the story of the beautiful Rosara, the daughter of her tribe's chief. Attempting to avoid a vicious suitor, she meets and quickly befriends the enchanted jaguar Tupa. But it is only a matter of time before a spell befalls Rosara, transforming her into a form like that of her new companion. Can the spell be broken? Or will Rosara and Tupa remain forever beasts?


I did not expect to like Rosara & the Jungle King, but I was in for quite the surprise. I was the princess of the jungle, racing through the vines with my new friend, the Jungle King. Rosara was incredibly easy and fun to relate to, and I felt as if Tupa and I had been friends for years.

Five stars!

___________________

The Wulver's Rose by Hayden Wand

In The Wulver's Rose, the young Bonnie ventures to a castle perched in the Highlands of Scotland to repay a debt to her family. But there is more to this castle than meets the eye: it is inhabited by a werewolf of sorts -- a creature called the Wulver, who is half-man, half-wolf. Not to mention there's the trapped child, a young girl who visits Bonnie in her dreams. When a wicked sorceress comes calling, Bonnie must save the Wulver, as well as this mysterious child. But what if it is Bonnie who must pay the price?


I absolutely adored Hayden Wand's The Wulver's Rose! It was probably my favourite in the Five Enchanted Roses collection, by far. The setting was beautiful, the characters were outstanding, and the plot itself was altogether stunning! I am afraid there is little more I can say on the matter, except that The Wulver's Rose deserves five stars (or more, if such a thing is possible).

___________________

So what do you think? Maybe you'll give Five Enchanted Roses a read? If you're still a little unsure, you can download the free ebook of Hayden Wand's novella at this link. And you can pick up all five novellas here!

Have an excellent read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog