I've Moved! Come Visit Me On My New Blog!

  • No Post Today - HELLO, DRAGONS! So I'd totally planned on there being a real-ish post today... BUT THAT'S JUST NOT HAPPENING. My Thanksgiving break begins next Friday/S...
    1 week ago

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Titling Like a Potterhead

Am I the only one who thinks that J.K. Rowling has the richest words? She is the author most writers look up to, for her words, her skills, and her efforts.

On another note, but not entirely separate -- titling a chapter is HARD. Especially when you title it before the chapter is started. And when you don't keep track of the chapter, the title, and the page? Complete chaos. So, this post is going to be about (surprise!)... titling chapters -- in the style of Rowling!

I have here beside me J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and with its guidance, I am going to re-title the first ten chapters of the first draft of my novel-in-progress. Since you don't know the story of each chapter, they may not make as much sense, but I shall spice them up as understandably as I see fit...

Original: I. Princess Adrianna Rowling-afied: I. An Important Arrival

Original: II. Volunteer Rowling-afied: II. The Unwanted Assistant

Original: III. Christmas Eve Rowling-afied: III. Christmas Eve (I'm pretty sure that Rowling would title it the same thing. :) )

Original: IV. Changes Rowling-afied: IV. Rejected

Original: V. "A Little Young" Rowling-afied: V. "A Little Young" (Again, I believe Rowling would title it the same.)

Original: VI. Training with the Knights Rowling-afied: VI. The Weight of the World

Original: VII. The New Year's Eve Ball Rowling-afied: VII. New Year's Ball (Simple cutting and editing, my friend. :) )

Original: VIII. My First Suitor's a Charmer Rowling-afied: VIII. The Charmer

Original: IX. Run Away Rowling-afied: IX. The Runaway (Some revising will do, nicely.)

Original: X. Making Amends Rowling-afied: X. The Parting Glass

I hope this post will assist you in further titling your chapters. I have found J.K. Rowling's sense of titling to be direct and simple, making it easier to label a chapter mysteriously yet basically. So the best of luck to you all! :)

<3,

~O

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog