Friday, May 1, 2015

Expressing Yourself Through Your Passion When the Words Can't Seem to Come Out

Don't you just hate it when you know what you're thinking, but you don't know how to express yourself? Perhaps you are feeling lonely, but you don't want to tell anyone. What do you do? Some people sing it out, others paint a picture (literally), and still more might simply... write it?

"I'm a fiction writer."

Okay, so I kind of figured that you are -- most young writers these days are. And you're probably asking:

"But how can I express myself through fiction?"

Aha! Ever heard of Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe? It was the novel that, according to legend, started the American Civil War. Though I never really cared for the story, I have to hand it to Stowe -- she did a pretty awesome job of expressing herself. She created characters that lead the reader on a journey, causing the reader to either love them or hate them. In the end, Stowe had clearly proved her point: that slavery is wrong, and it affects people more than they think.

"Okay, but how can I express myself through my writing? I don't even know how to create the proper story, even if I do love typing away!"

Calm down and just breathe! It might seem like a huge bundle of work to express yourself through your writing, but it is honestly much easier than you would think.

To demonstrate how to express yourself, here are my tips. I might be a little unskilled at novel writing (seeing as I'm still working on my first book, right now), but here they are:

1. Just start writing. You don't necessarily need an outline or anything of the such, but just start. Create at least two characters right off the bat, and instantly label them.
2. Once you're a chapter or two into your tale, define the purpose. What sort of point are you trying to make? For me, it was proving how rejection can affect people. If your point is something that will make the character suffer, fine then! Make the character suffer. You will soon find yourself relating to the character as you write, such as crying when they cry and laughing when they laugh. And you know what that means? Your audience is likely to relate to them, too!
3. Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid of what will happen to your story! Remember that this is only the first draft, and there are likely to be several more. If there is an item or a character that is disrupting the way you'd like the story to go, then do away with them! You'll be able to edit everything more, later, when you move on to draft two.
4. Fall in love with your story. Remember that, for now, this novel is about you! You may be writing this to prove a point, but in the beginning, this story is helping you discover who you are!
5. Don't worry. As my final note, I'd like to remind you that God is with you! Just trust in him, and you'll do great.

Lots of love,

~O

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I always make a point to respond to comments. Feel free to leave a link to your blog, too, and I might come and check it out! :)

Please keep your comments clean and respectful of others. If your comments contain inappropriate content or simply make others or myself uncomfortable, they will be deleted. All comments undergo moderation before being made public.

Notice

As of September sixteenth, 2015, this blog has been reformatted. However, all posts before that date have not been updated to fit the new format, and may not be as simple to read.

Posts You May Enjoy

Search Blog